- Hydro 2015 International Conference and Exhibition will take place at Bordeaux Convention Centre 26-28 October 2015, (France)
- ICOLD Annual Meeting & Congress, June 2015, (Norway)
- The 7th International Symposium on ROLLER COMPACTED CONCRETE (RCC) Dams, September 24-25, 2015, Chengdu (China)
- Sancold Annual Conference 2015, 1-3 September 2015
- 10th Edition of the Spanish Technical Meetings on Dams, 18-20 February 2015
- 1st International Seminar on Dam Protection against overtopping and Accidental Leakage, 24-26 November 2014, Madrid, (Spain)
- 2014 ANCOLD Conference, 21-22 October 2014, Canberra (Australia)
- HYDRO 2014, International Conference and Exhibition, 13-15 October 2014
- CDA Annual Conference, 4-5 October 2014, Banff (Alberta-Canada)
- 22nd ICID Congress and 65th IEC Meeting, 14-20 September 2014, Gwangju (Korea)
- 82nd Annual Meeting, June 1st-6th 2014, Bali, (Indonesia)
- ICID and ICOLD Presidents write to World Bank President
- Fifth International Conference on Water Resources and Hydropower Development in Asia, 11-13 March 2014, Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- Tehri dam held raging Ganga and saved lives, July 23rd
- R.I.P. Nelson Mandela (07/12/2013)
- Africa 2013 Report, May 21st
- Construction of Belo Monte resumes, 1st Sept 2012
- Infrastructure for green energy, 30 May 2012
- The 6th WWF, 12-17 March 2012, Marseille (France)
- The WCD question ,16 March 2012, Marseille (France)
- ICOLD President met IHA President, May 2011
- China-Africa : successful workshop and tour, November 2010
- SANCOLD Conference, 5-7 November 2013
- Hydropower 2013, CHINCOLD 2013 Annual Meeting and the 3rd International Symposium on Rockfill Dams, 1-3 November 2013
- 20th Anniversary of SLOCOLD, International Symposium, 16th October 2013, Ljubljana (Slovenia)
- Annual CDA Conference & Exhibition, October 5-10, 2013, Montréal (Quebec, Canada)
- 81th ICOLD Annual Meeting, 12-16 August 2013, Seattle (USA)
- International Conference and Exhibition Africa,16-18 April 2013
- 9th ICOLD European Club Symposium, April 10-12 2013, Venice (Italy)
- Africa 2013: Water Storage and Hydropower Development for Africa, April 8
- After the floods, from Red Cross to heads of state, a general call for more dams, November 12th
- 6th International Symposium on Roller Compacted Concrete (RCC) Dams, October 23-25, 2012, Zaragoza (Spain)
- 24th ICOLD Congress, June,6-8th 2012, Kyoto (Japan)
- Invitation to the First International Conference on Dams and Hydropower in Iran
- 2nd International Symposium on Rockfill Dams, October 25-28 2011, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Practical Solutions for a Sustainable Future, October 17-19, 2011, Prague (Czech Republic)
- International Symposium on "Modern Technologies and Long-term Behavior of Dams", September 27-29 2011, Zhengzhou (China)
- Hydrovision Brazil, September 20-22, 2011, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- 79th Annual Meeting, 29 May-3 June 2011, Lucerne (Switzerland)
- Hydrovision International, July 19-22, 2011, Sacramento (USA)
- ICOLD's new homepage
- 25th ICID European Regional Conference, 16-20 May, 2011, Groningen (Netherlands)
Bulletin 166Inspection of dams following earthquake - guidelines
Bulletin 146Dams and Ressetlement - Lessons learnt and recommendations
Registre des BarragesThe WRD is the best available data basis on dams in the world and we are constantly striving to better it.
Bulletin 148Selecting seismic parameters for large dams - Guidelines (revision of Bulletin 72)
Bulletin 156Integrated flood risk management
Bulletin 157Small dams: Design, Surveillance and Rehabilitation
85th ICOLD Annual Meeting
Prague, Czech Republic
3 - 7 July 2017
LTBD 2017 in Tehran
"Long-Term Behavior and Environmentally Friendly Rehabilitation Technologies of Dams (LTBD 2017)"
17 – 19 October 2017
26th Congress & 86th ICOLD Annual Meeting
1 - 7 July 2018
Central Europe goes for pumped storage plants development
An European initiative signed by Germany, Austria and Switzerland calls for the development of more pumped-storage power plants.
Those plants are the only existing mean to store large quantities of electricity. Beside playing a crucial role for stabilizing the network frequency by easing the supply-demand balance, power storage is becoming absolutely necessary because of the rapid development of intermittent renewable energies like wind or solar.
This is recognized by the three signatory ministers: Phillipp Rosler of the Austrian Republic’s Ministry of Economy and Technology; Reinhold Mitterlehner of Germany's Ministry of Economy, Family and Youth; and Doris Leuthard of the Swiss Council for the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications. They declare pumped storage is essential if Europe wants to reach its energy and climate policy objectives. Those objectives are often familiarly called the “20-20-20 targets”.
A view of the Emosson dam in Switzerland. It will be used as the lower reservoir for the 600 MW Nant-de-Drance pumping storage plant being built there.
European countries have agreed in 2008 to lower their greenhouse gas emissions 20% by the year 2020 below 1990 levels. That would be accomplished by investments in renewable electricity generation like wind and solar power : 20% of European energy is to come from renewable resources. The third objective is to increase overall energy efficiency by 20%.
As the initiative notes, however, "pumped storage power plants are the only industrially available storage technology present," and their development is essential to "offset the volatile supply of wind and solar systems."
The agreement not only calls for the expansion of existing pumped-storage facilities but also cross-border transmission of energy currently being produced. But the agreement does not mention the obstacles to the use of pumped storage plants, like the rates applied to electricity transport which make the operation much less profitable (utilities operating a pumping storage station have to pay twice for electricity transport).
The original text (in German) of the joint initiative can be read on the German’s ministry for science here.
Tags : Events